Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Charlotte

We went to Pittsburgh to visit Elizabeth this past weekend.  My DH prefers the scenic route which meant a wonderful drive through the Virginia countryside and near perfect leaf-viewing.  It also meant 7 uninterrupted hours of knitting each way.  Life is good.

I had narrowed my knitting options down to either a second Brigitta in Ushya or Charlotte in Sulka. Isn't Charlotte beautiful!


They're both perfect car projects because they're knit in one piece and have fairly simple directions.  I needed something that was engaging but not so demanding that I couldn't enjoy the leaves.

It was tempting to simply knit up another Brigitta because it was fresh in my mind and it goes so darn quick.  On the other hand, I had never knit a big project with Sulka, and it In the end I decided on Charlotte simply because the Sulka took up less room in the car.  What a luscious yarn that Sulka is!  I picked a colorway called red onion, which is, of course, purple.  It's a single ply yarn with lots of loft, so it could be knit anywhere from 3 to 4 stitches per inch.  It's a firm fabric at 4, and a little loose at 3, but on at 3.5 on a size 10 needle, it' s really lovely.



 Charlotte has two repeats of Vine Lace around the bottom and then stockinette the rest of the way up. By the time we got home Sunday I'd finished the entire body and cast on for the sleeves.   Here's it is blocking.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ellen, the sweater is beautiful. I look forward to seeing the final product.

Laura A.